Astrology is a science of light where heavenly bodies’ movements have influential affairs on life events. A wide range of people believes that astrology is not just a placebo aspect but rather it’s a connection between events and people who perform the action. Two distinct Astrological approaches, Vedic Astrology, and Western Astrology are accepted widely by the majority of the population.
Vedic vs Western Astrology
The prediction based on the birth chart or date/time of birth can be performed using both Vedic and Western astrology approaches. There are some major differences between the two techniques that we have segregated into five sections. But, whether it’s Vedic Astrology (Hindu Astrology or Jyotish Shastra) or Western Astrology, their chief purpose is the same: to eliminate problems and maximize the happiness of human life.
- As the name suggests, the origin of Vedic Astrology can be traced to the Vedas, the foremost scriptures on planet Earth. Vedic Astrology was developed from ancient texts by the seers and sages (Rishis) of the Indian Subcontinent, thousands of years ago. Thus, Vedic Astrology is pious and antique and believed to be the word of God passed on to wise people in the past.
- On the other hand, Western Astrology can be traced back to life and intellectual development in ancient Greece. Western Astrology is also influenced by Egyptian Civilisation. Thus, Western Astrology is an outcome of the evolved intellectuality and exploration of the European mind.
2. Astrological Calculations
- The Vedic Astrology system is about a fixed zodiac, with a certain Nakshatra (Planet) in the background. It is also called the “Sidereal Zodiac”. The Sidereal year is the time taken by earth to revolve around Sun with respect to the fixed star Chitra, and this duration is apparently 20 minutes longer than the tropical year. This duration differentiates by 25 degrees from 0 degrees vernal equinox in Western Astrology.
- As for Western Astrology, it works on movable zodiac signs. This system is based on the orientation of the Earth to the Sun. It is also known as the “Tropical Zodiac”. Tropical astrology measures planetary motion based on Sun’s position on the spring equinox.
- In Vedic Astrology, there is a total of 9 visible Planets: Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, and Rahu-Ketu (shadow planets), the two nodes of the Moon where the moon crosses the ecliptic plane. While using the 12 signs, Vedic Astrology makes use of 27 lunar constellations, called Nakshatras, each one covering a span of 13 degrees and 20 minutes. (Effects of Planets in Each House)
- Western Astrologers include all major planets of the solar system (including Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto) to predict the future, which is not considered by Vedic Astrology. Western Astrology does not consider Nakshatras or constellations.
4. Time System
- Vedic Astrology applies the Vimshotarri Dasha system (a method to time the planetary system) while analyzing the planetary transits for future events.
- Western Astrology does not use Dasha System. On the other hand, it studies planetary transits based on their advances and movements.
5. Solar and Lunar System
- Western Astrology seems to rely more upon the movement and placement of the Sun. So, the emphasis is more on psychology, the personality, and, the character of an individual.
- On the other hand, the Vedic or Sidereal system is a Moon-based astrology system that covers all the areas of life.
6. Aspects of retrograde planets
- According to Vedic astrology, each planet has its own unique/special aspect or set of planetary aspects that provide varying degrees of strength when applied.
- In Western astrology, all planets form the same kind of aspects, including a square, trine, sextile, or opposition.
Examples of the Vedic Astrology approach and Western Astrology approach
For instance, in Vedic or Indian Astrology, Jupiter casts its aspect to the 5th, 7th, and 9th houses from its location, Mars aspects the 4th, 7th house, and 8th houses from its location, and also the 8th house. The law of Drishti (aspect) was formed based on the aspect of an army of planets representing a deity or demon in a battleground. Sun being an almighty deity king with only one complete aspect is more powerful than Saturn a demon king that has three full aspects. Both the planets and the movable signs aspect provide insight into the actual person’s life path.
In Western Astrology, If the person is born on July 10, he is the Cancer Zodiac sign. The month of birth gives a person character traits rather than the moment of birth or birth time. The character traits are based on the classification of Zodiacs as Fire element, Earth element, Air element, and Water element. The intensity differs by further classification of signs under the cardinal sign, mutable sign, and fixed sign. The person born on July 10 is Cancer, a cardinal water sign, a deeply emotional person rather timid who can provide warmth and security. No Planetary time periods and their movement in the ecliptic path are taken into consideration.
Why is Vedic Astrology more Advanced than Western Astrology?
Vedic astrology is more advanced, thus it can be very effective and accurate yet a bit more complex. The Vedic concept of astrology can accurately analyze the affairs of people because of its reliance on more accurate astronomical principles of celestial bodies.
- Nakshatras, Dasha System, and Divisional Charts in Vedic Astrology provide a much deeper insight. The Vedic zodiacs based on constellations are much more dynamic than the fixed astrological signs of western astrology.
- Heavenly bodies are moving in the ether as per the Nirayana system. Vedic Astrologers not only assess the natal chart but also the Dashas (impact of the planetary period in certain astrological houses), the periods of different planets transiting through different signs, and their influence in real-time.
- Vedic Astrology is based on the Moon sign over the Sun sign. Sun changes its sign in around a month while Moon changes its sign in 2.25 days, which is why predictions based on Moon are closer and more accurate since our moods and circumstances change frequently. The moon reflects the mind and emotions, our temperament, thus interpreting the moon’s placement leads to more relevant predictions and analysis.
- Thanks to its more advanced and detailed prediction tools and methods, modern Vedic astrology outshines Western Astrology.
- Vedic Astrology analyzes the personal dharma or the Life path of the person, reflecting the greatest gifts and toughest life challenges they might have. Your relationship with your wife, family, children, friends, teachers, bosses, and many more can be explored in detail.
Ever-changing Planetary movements shift and Universal expansion! This concept of Vedic Astrology and more accurate calculations and detailed methods are the best way to decode signs’ and planets’ interpretations and symbolic meanings. Western or Tropical Astrology can provide only a straightforward explanation. However, Western Astrology is worth exploring too.
Wanna know your Vedic chart? Or do you have someone that you want to be compatible with or solve individual differences? Get an appointment with the best astrologers online. Analyze entire houses of birth charts and get to know your future potential. Afraid that there will be some malefic effects? Worry not! We will provide you with Vedic rituals for your spiritual growth and obstacle remedies. Click here to sign up.