Astrology is the savior of suffering humanity. It is an art as well as a science, which can eradicate sorrows and fill our lives with lots of happiness. Well, there are broadly two distinct types of Astrology, namely the Vedic Astrology and Western Astrology. They don’t differ just in their places of origin but also vary in some other key areas.
But, whether it’s Vedic Astrology (Hindu Astrology or Jyotish Shastra) or Western Astrology, their chief purpose is the same: to eliminate problems and maximize happiness.
Vedic vs Western Astrology
- As the name suggests, the origin of Vedic Astrology can be traced to the Vedas, the foremost scriptures on planet Earth. Vedic Astrology was developed by the ancient seers and sages (Rishis) of the Indian Subcontinent, thousands of years ago. Thus, Vedic Astrology is pious and antique and believed to be the word of God passed on to the wise people in the past.
- On the other hand, Western Astrology can be traced back to life and intellectual development in ancient Greece. Western Astrology is also influenced by the Egyptian Civilisation. Thus, Western Astrology is an outcome of the evolved intellectuality and exploration of the European mind.
2. Astrological Calculations
- The Vedic Astrology system is about a fixed zodiac, with a certain Nakshatra (Planet) in the background. It is also called “Sidereal Zodiac”. The Sidereal year is the time taken by earth to revolve around Sun with respect to the fixed star Chitra, and this duration is apparently 20 minutes longer than the tropical year.
- As for Western Astrology, it works on a movable zodiac. This system is based on the orientation of Earth to Sun. It is also known as “Tropical Zodiac”.
- In Vedic Astrology, there are total of 9 Planets: Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and Rahu-Ketu, the two nodes of the Moon. Also, while using the 12 signs, Vedic Astrology makes use of 27 lunar constellations, called Nakshatras, each one covering a span of 13 degrees and 20 minutes. (Effects of Planets in Each House)
- Western Astrology includes planets like Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto to predict the future, which is not considered by Vedic Astrology. Besides, Western Astrology does not consider Nakshatras or constellations.
4. Time System
- Vedic Astrology applies Vimshotarri Dasha system (a method to time the planetary system) while analyzing the planetary transits for future events.
- Western Astrology does not use Dasha System. On the other hand, it studies planetary transits based on their advances and movements.
5. Solar and Lunar System
- Western Astrology seems to rely more upon the movement and placement of Sun. So, the emphasis is more on psychology, the personality an, character of an individual.
- On the other hand, the Vedic or Sidereal system is a Moon-based astrology system which covers all the areas of life.
Why is Vedic Astrology more Advanced?
Vedic astrology is more advanced, thus it can be very effective and accurate yet a bit more complex. Nakshatras, Dasha System, and Divisional Charts in Vedic Astrology provide a much deeper insight. When compared to the western system, Vedic astrology seems upright because it relies on more accurate astronomical principles. It shall be kept in view that planets are moving in the sky as per the Nirayana system. Vedic Astrologers not only assess the natal chart but also the dashas, the periods of different planets transiting through different signs, and their influence in real-time.
Also, Vedic Astrology is based on the Moon sign over the Sun sign. Sun changes its sign in around a month while Moon changes its sign in 2.25 days, which is why predictions based on Moon are more close and accurate since our moods and circumstances change frequently.
Secondly, the moon reflects the mind and emotions, our temperament, thus interpreting the moon’s placement leads to more relevant predictions and analysis. Vedic Astrology hence is equipped with more precise and detail-oriented tools and methods of predictions than western astrology, thus more reliable.
Since the planetary movements shift, the Universe expands, and nothing is still, Vedic Astrology is believed to be more rational and reliable. The signs and planets generally have similar interpretation and symbolic meanings in both the systems but Vedic Astrology has more accurate calculations and detailed methods involved, thus more reliable. The Tropical or Western chart can provide only a straightforward explanation. However, Western Astrology is worth exploring too.
Last Updated on March 10, 2022