We use a central point of energy whether consciously or unconsciously, to affect the reality that allows us to fully experience and realize events that unfold before us. These focal points are called chakras, nerve-centers of our body. Balancing chakras is very necessary for the healthy living of human body. Chakra meditation is one popular form of meditation technique that can help balance the Chakras.
Chakras are located in important parts of our body, related to spiritual, physical, and emotional energies. The chakras are the link through which our mind, body, and spirit interrelate as a single system. Any organ within the area of these chakras controls the entire body and mind activities. Before we dig into the details of Chakra meditation, let us first understand what Chakra is all about.
What is Chakra?
Chakra is referred to as wheel or disc in Sanskrit. Its origin can be outlined in early Hinduism and Buddhism, and the shifting nature of chakras is explained in both texts. They are considered as wheel-like energy centers that are not physically visible but belong to the subtle spiritual body and connected to the material one. Therefore, Chakra is not a physical object. They are centers of energy within the body running from the base of our spine up to above the crown of our head. It is the point of sensation in the body.
There are 109 chakras within the human body and have unique characteristics and functions. Out of that 108 are in the physical body and one is in the astral body. Each chakra stimulates a different endocrine gland and nerve plexus and correlates to seven colors of the rainbow spectrum and resembles lotus flowers.
There are seven main chakras situated along the spine from the sacrum at the bottom to the crown at the top of the head.
- Root Chakra (Muladhara Chakra) — It is located at the base of the spine. It is connected to the mind-body and soul with the earth. Controls our physical energy. It is the root chakra that is linked to fundamental needs.
- Sacral Chakra (Svadishthana Chakra) — It is located just below the navel. It is associated with the emotional body, sensuality, and creativity.
- Solar Plexus (Manipura Chakra) — It is positioned at the solar plexus, and it controls our astral energies. It is the chakra of self-control and self-esteem
- Heart Chakra (Anahata Chakra) — It is located at the heart and controls our mental energies. It is a chakra of love, beauty, and compassion. It regulates the immune system.
- Throat Chakra (Vishuddhi Chakra)– It is situated in the throat, and it rules our spiritual energies. It is a chakra of inspiration and expression.
- Third eye Chakra (Ajna Chakra)– It is located in between the two eyes in the center of the forehead, the area is known as the third eye. It controls our cosmic body. It is a chakra of thinking and higher knowledge.
- Crown Chakra (Sahasrara Chakra) — It is positioned at the crown of the head, and closely related to the brain and the whole nervous system. It is a chakra of the highest spiritual consciousness, the center of Samadhi.
Chakra plays a significant part in the human body as they are nerve centers. They are supposed to be the holy centers and meeting points of the spiritual energy. Each of the seven chakras relates to a different aspect of the spiritual self. They are situated next to a hormonal gland along the human spinal column. Thus, the balancing of chakras is known as chakra meditation. It consists of a set of relaxation techniques that bring balance, relaxation, and wellbeing to the chakras. It is the best way to balance mind and body for a healthy lifestyle.
Chakra can be blocked and even if one of the seven chakras blocked, it can lead to emotional and physical difficulties. Chakra meditation allows us to understand whether it is balanced or not. This is a focused form of meditation that targets blocked chakras. It helps to restore and enhance the smooth flow of energy. Thus, the main aim of chakra meditation is to bring awareness to a chakra. Light meditation, sound meditation, color meditation, breathing meditation, and perineum pump, and Mula bandha meditation are chakra meditation techniques.
Steps of Chakra Meditation
Following are the different steps for chakra meditation.
- Sit in the Lotus pose or lie comfortably in a peaceful place. Breathe deeply, relax your body and close your eyes.
- Focus your attention first on your root chakra. Imagine the root chakras color red, and then focus on yourself, your emotions and feel it.
- Feel the energy rises to the navel chakra. And imagine the color changes to orange, feel its flow and keep yourself relaxed.
- Pull the energy further up into your solar plexus chakra point. Visualize the energy becoming golden yellowish, for power and energy.
- Let the energy flow up to your heart chakra point and feel the emerald green ball of light color. Feel the love, concentration, and wealth around.
- Next, the energy rises to your throat chakra. Visualize the energy becoming blue light. Feel the power of stating yourself visibly.
- Let the energy flow up to your third eye chakra and the color become purple. Feel the empowered mind and happiness of consciousness in mind is.
- Finally, visualize the energy turning white as it flows at the highest point of the head or crown chakra. Feel the removal of all blockages and strength from within the body.
- Breathe deeply several times. Open your eyes and stretch.
Benefits of Chakra Meditation
It is a proven fact that different types of meditation are beneficial for the mind, body, and soul. Below are some benefits of practicing chakra meditation daily:
- The practice of any chakra meditation will make you feel good and relaxed about yourself.
- Improve your vision power.
- You will never meet stress and anxiety or depression.
- Removal of all blockages presents in the body.
- The practice makes you stay focused, energetic, and concentrated.
- You will feel more connected with your surroundings.
- It helps in building stronger relations.
- It keeps your anger away.
- Enhances your vision and communication skills.
- Helps in building a good spiritual connection.