Vastu indicates a habitable place or material. As we all know, Earth is the source of all the materials, including the materials for constructing a house, such as timber, stone, sand, metals, etc.
The Vastu Shastra tells how houses and buildings must be made without creating an imbalance between the Earth, its available material, and the atmosphere.
Interesting Vastu Facts
Vastu Shastra being a very broad theory, has its uniqueness. So here are a few interesting facts to be known about Vastu Shastra.
- Vastu Shastra is an old scientific theory that is over 5000 years old. The texts on Vastu Shastra can be found written back in 1500-1000 BCE.
- Vastu Shastra has been explained in numerous Hindu Puranas, Sanskrit treaties, Indian literature, and Manu Scriptures written by Sages, Priests, and Sages in the past eras main sources of Vastu Shastra. One of its theories can be found in The Brihat Samhitha by Varamhira. This document has 106 chapters, among which Chapter 53 has a full description of Vastu Shastra.
- Vastu Shastra is known as the science or law of energy. It uses natural energy and creates a balance between home and the cosmos.
- Vastu Shastra is based upon two important scientific facts:- (1.) Magnetic Property of the Earth and the gravitational and magnetic forces created by the materials inside the Earth. (2.) Rotation of the Earth on its axis and the centrifugal and other forces created by its movements.
- It is believed that the movement of the magnetic currents, magnetic fields, gravitational effects of Earth, direction and the velocity of winds, and light and heat of the Sun, all affect the well-being of humans.
- The Panchatatwa (5 elements): Prithivi (Earth), Agni (fire), Tej (light), Vayu (wind), and Aakash (sky) are associated with the Vastu Shastra as well. Vastu Shastra uses these energies to create a balance between our abode and atmosphere.
- These five elements are somehow linked with the five senses of taste, touch, smell, hearing, and sight, and any imbalances affect the well-being of humans. Therefore, the architecture of a town, city, or house of people has to be synchronized with these five elements and the five senses for their well-being.
- Vasthu Shastra divides a place mainly into nine parts aligning with the directions: – North, East, South, West, North East Corner, South East Corner, South West Corner, North West Corner, and Centre.
- Vastu Shastra is the combination and collection of different designs. One of the first created designs is known as Bhogadyam, which is also known for its easy application and clarity in the direction.
- Vastu Shastra is also a part of Veda; It is known as Upa-Veda, while astrology or Jyotish Shastra is a Vedanga known as the eye of Vedas. Hence Vastu is believed to be an extension or manifestation of the astrological principle of planetary energies of the cosmos.
- Vastu and Astrology are not directly affected, but both have an inherent symbolic relationship where one compliments the other. For instance, the nature of remedies in a Vastu can be ascertained through the client’s Kundli or birth chart.
- It is believed that if the Vastu recommendations are not followed, it may lead to a fault known as Vastu Dosha. And according to Vastu Shastra, every Vastu fault has some remedy. Vastu remedies include Vastu Pooja, some minor and major alterations of the house, offerings to the god, change of color of the house and room, and so forth.
- Vastu Shastra is misguided as a Myth. But the truth is never flowed by a large mass, and false theories do not sustain for a longer time. The basic principles of Vastu Shastra are well explained in the Shastra itself in clarity with many logics, stories, and formulas so that all people can follow them and live a balanced life.
Last Updated on July 29, 2022